Stories have the power to build or break a nation but the strongest stories are those that start at home. Here’s one simple way to introduce storytelling in your family.
Encourage your children to do getting-to- know-you interviews with their grandparents. They can start by asking them these 5 questions:
- Where and when were you born, and what was life like in your family?
- What are some of the things you remember most about your childhood – good or bad?
- What are some of the things in your life you are most proud of, and things you would have done differently?
- In which ways has South Africa changed over the years?
- What advice would you give to the younger generation today?
Let them record the answers in a journal or as audio notes or videos on a cell phone.
Once the interviews have been conducted you can have a family get-together where they share some of their learnings with the rest of the family. You may be surprised at the things your parents share with your children that they may never have told you!
If your parents agree to it, get your kids to share their grandparent’s story here